Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Few Things That Are Making Me Happy Right Now

I've been a little bummed the last couple days, so I figured today I'd write briefly about a few different things that I've liked lately in an effort to cheer up.

First up, Muse has a new album coming out in just a week.  I love this band!  I was able to see them perform twice the last time they toured and I'm hoping they'll announce the dates for the US part of their upcoming tour soon.  Right now you can listen to all of The 2nd Law online, just go here and click on the link to be directed to the local stream.

In other music news, another band I really like, Billy Talent, released their fourth album earlier this month.  Titled Dead Silence, I think this might be their best album yet.  A little before the album came out, the band had it streaming on their Facebook page, but I think that's been taken down.  However, you can still stream a few of their songs from the audio player on their website here, including the first single off of the album, Viking Death Match, as well as some songs from earlier albums.

Turning to the local music scene, an area band that I think is pretty great is Kaboombox.  Check out their Facebook page and click on their band profile to hear a few of their songs. 

Moving on from music, I've gotten totally hooked on the tv show Fringe.  This show's pretty fantastic.  I had tried watching it when it first started to air, but the pilot episode really grossed me out.  A friend eventually convinced me to give it another shot and I'm glad he did!  The pilot still grossed me out on rewatch, but I stuck with it and have been rewarded with a show with a complex and engaging plot and interesting characters.  I just wish that Netflix had the episodes streaming, rather than having to wait for the discs one at a time.

A couple weeks ago I finished reading China Mieville's newest book, Railsea.  This is his second novel targeted toward young adults and has parallels to Moby Dick, except with a giant ivory mole and trains rather than a white whale and ships.  Kind of awesome.

Finally, I'll be heading up to Central New York for about a week starting this Saturday.  Technically it's for work, but since I'm driving myself, there will be a lot of fun wedged in there as well.  So far plans include a trip to the Thousand Islands and a visit to Boldt Castle, a hike around Ausable Chasm, a visit with the grandfolks, picking up some cider from Burrville, and at least one trip to Stefano's Pizzeria.  And, if there's time, maybe a winery or two (or maybe even more).  Plus, New York in the beginning of October?  Soooooooo pretty!  I'll have to bring my camera.

Well, I feel better now.  Stay tuned for pictures of the wonderfulness that is NNY in the fall!  (at least if I remember my camera and then remember to actually take pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment