Sunday, December 16, 2012

Nutella Truffles + Reading Failure

This post is going to be a little different from my other recipe posts since it's a recipe off of someone else's blog and I managed to screw it up.  For the actual recipe, just follow this link

A few weeks ago a friend sent me a link to the blog A Beautiful Mess, specifically the post on Nutella Truffles, and said that I should try making those.  I read through the recipe and said "this doesn't sound too bad" so I went to the store and got all the ingredients together and that's when the trouble began.
The wording on the box of Baker's chocolate is covered up, but if you do much baking with chocolate, you might already know that the orange box is not bittersweet chocolate--it's unsweetened.  I realized that I had made a critical reading error AFTER I had everything all melted together.  But really, how bad could it be?  The answer is: very.  So it was time to deploy emergency confectioners' sugar!  But that just made it too thick.  Add more cream!  But now it doesn't taste very Nutella-y.  Add more Nutella!  But now it's too thick again.  More cream! 

Well, eventually I got it tasting alright again and poured into a bowl to chill in the fridge for a while.  But I think it was still probably a little thick.
Success?
After a couple hours, it was time to roll out the little truffle balls.  I'm pretty good at this part, what with all the practice from making Oreo truffles and buttercreams, so I think that went fairly well.
Success!
Back to the refrigerator they went!  It was now time for dipping them in white chocolate.  This should be easy, right?  *sigh*  I'm thinking it just was not a day I was meant to make anything.  Melting the white chocolate started out just fine, but actually dipping the truffles was another matter.  They tended to each melt a bit when I dipped them, turning the chocolate a little less white with each one that went in.  Then the chocolate decided it didn't want to stay very melty anymore and began to thicken.  They all got dipped, though!
Success...?
But that didn't look good enough for me, oh no!  I had leftover white chocolate chips, so I melted those and sent them through again!  And had the exact same problem, only worse.  But they all got dipped a second time, no matter how clumpy the chocolate got!
I am fairly certain this is not what success looks like.
So how did I manage to salvage these abominations?  Easy!  I put them in a tub so no one could actually see them and brought them to a party that had a whoooole lot of alcohol!
SUCCESS!!!!
Actually, despite their looks, these did turn out to be really tasty.  And it helps illustrate an important lesson: just because you screw up a recipe pretty badly, it doesn't mean you can't salvage what you've got and still wind up with something great (if horrifyingly ugly).

4 comments:

  1. don't lie!!! these things were amazing!!!! I let my fiends try them and they thought they were the best things EVER, like soooo good I bet they would have fought over them if I didn't personally hand them out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you really liked them! But I DID screw them up pretty badly--I was just lucky I had plenty of confectioners' sugar on hand. And more cream. And more Nutella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't actually read this until now because Nutella is gross (sorry), but I've been reading A Beautiful Mess for years, and let me tell you - those girls don't actually know what they're doing. I've looked at a LOT of their "recipes" and thought, "Yeeeeeeeah... that's not going to turn out." Ha ha... I'm pretty sure this might've been trouble even if you HAD read the box right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That makes me feel a bit better :-) Also, how can you say Nutella is gross? It's so tasty!

    ReplyDelete