Saturday, January 19, 2013

Crab-Stuffed Flounder

I am currently on vacation in southwestern Florida, so I'm not cooking dinner for myself this week.  However, since I'm visiting my parents, Mom is cooking dinner for me!  (Actually, I'm going to be making porkchops for us for dinner later this week, but you've already seen that recipe).  She was kind enough to cook some delicious crab-stuffed flounder fillets for me and Dad. 

For this recipe, you'll need: 2-2 1/2 lbs flounder fillets (the recipe calls for fresh, but the frozen ones seem to work just fine), 1/4 C chopped shallot (I now know that that is!), 1/4 C melted butter, 7 oz can crab meat (drained), 1/2 C crushed saltine crackers, 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt, dash of pepper, cheddar cheese sauce (3 Tbsp butter, 3 tsp flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/2 C milk, 1 C grated cheddar cheese).
The thing on top of the crab meat is a shallot!
 Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grease a 2 quart casserole dish.  In a bowl, combine the shallot, butter, Old Bay, salt, pepper, crab meat, and crackers.
Take your flounder fillets, put a little bit of the crab mixture in the middle, and roll them up, securing with a toothpick if you need to.
 Do this with all of your fillets and put them in your dish.
Bake them, uncovered, for 25 minutes.  While they're in the oven, make your cheddar sauce.  In a saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp of butter and stir in 3 tsp of flour and 1/4 tsp salt.  Stir that until it's smooth and add in 1 1/2 C milk, stirring until it's thickened.  Add in 1 C grated cheddar cheese and stir it until it's all melted.  After the 25 minutes are up on the fish, take them out of the oven, pour the cheese sauce over them, and put them back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
And they're done!  And if you're trying to figure out what to serve with the fish, I recommend rice and roasted asparagus.
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment