Monday, September 26, 2011

Sweet, sweet cuppin' cakes

One of my coworkers very recently got married, and so, in celebration, we're having a pot-luck at work.  It would have been this Wednesday, but the new bride, knowing that I'll be gone for a conference starting Wednesday and through the rest of the week, graciously decided to hold off until next week.  So that I could make something.  Specifically, a Boston cream pie.  Now, I've never made one of these before and I have some reservations given that I'm not sure what my coworkers will end up doing to it.  See, they're very very bad at cutting cakes.  I brought in a cheesecake a couple weeks ago and by the time I went on break to get a piece, it resembled some sort of Cubist artwork.  I am very worried about what's going to happen when they have to cut into something that has a gooey middle.  The breakroom might very well end up looking like some sort of custardy charnel house.  Realizing this, I decided to try my hand at Boston cream pie cupcakes instead.

I don't think I'll ever make it as a food photographer
I couldn't very well bring in something completely untested, so this weekend, I made some practice cupcakes.  The cupcakes are a French sponge cake with pastry cream injected into their centers, and topped with a chocolate glaze.  The results ended up being delicious!  But they also ended up taking me about four hours to make from start to finish due to having to wait for various parts to cool.  So sadly, the Boston cream pie cupcakes will not be putting in an appearance at work.  Everyone will just have to make due with a regular sized Boston cream pie and we'll have to clean custard off the walls and ceiling.  Sorry guys.

1 comment: